Fit Food Friday: Chocolate Berry Protein Shake
We are always getting asked about breakfast options and this smoothie is one of our go-to’s, as it’s nourishing, energizing, tasty, and can be made quickly to enjoy at home or on the go! Smoothies or juices are one of the best breakfasts you can have as they are hydrating, are packed with nutrients (when made the right way) and are easily digested by the body. In fact, 30% of your daily energy goes towards digestion alone, so having an easy to absorb breakfast will not only aid your mid-morning or afternoon workouts, but will actually prevent you from hitting that 3PM slump!
When looking for protein powder you want to look for a plant-based protein with digestive enzymes. We came across WelleCo recently and fell in love thanks to its great taste, texture, and amazing nutrient list (including prebiotics and probiotics, vitamins and amino acids). You want to be cautious with animal-based protein powders such as whey, as many people are sensitive to them (particularly if you are lactose intolerant) and we have seen this cause bloating, among other issues.
Loading this smoothie up with even more nutrients from spinach and antioxidant-rich berries ensures you’re getting in at least 2-3 servings of produce first thing in the morning, along with all the gut-friendly fiber that helps keep blood sugar stable even throughout the rest of your day. Lastly, the cinnamon and honey add just a touch of sweetness to boost the delicious flavor while keeping it light and refreshing.
- 1 scoop plant protein of choice - we use WelleCo nourishing chocolate plant protein
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup frozen berries (we use blueberry or raspberry)
- Dash of cinnamon
- Teaspoon Manuka honey or raw honey
- Water, add to your liking & preferred consistency
- Add everything to a blender & enjoy!
- For a thicker consistency, use a non-dairy milk in place of (or mixed with) water. For a more juice-like consistency that is extra hydrating, simple add more water.
- We suggest sticking to one choice of fruit for optimal digestion
See more recipes like this one in action by visiting our YouTube Channel, and let us know if you try this dish or any of our other favorites from P’s kitchen!
Have a favorite dish you want made healthy? Let us know on Instagram @Pvolve!